Contrast
Text Size

Language

“Shop With A Cop” connects young people with HPD

Residents | December 8, 2019

According to Isabella, there were two overriding emotions; excitement and fear. The excitement stemmed from the forthcoming shopping adventure, but the fear the 10-year-old felt came from the uncertainty of her shopping partner, a member of the Hermantown Police Department.

“I’ve never really met a police officer before,” Isabella said. “I think people think of them as so serious and sometimes scary.”

Isabella, and nearly 20 other young Hermantown students, were all smiles about an hour later. They not only scooped up holiday gifts for family members, but also gained new friendships with members of the Hermantown Police Department.

Thanks to the generosity of Bernick’s, the ‘Shop With A Cop’ program has been an annual event in Hermantown for more than a decade. Bernick’s donates gift cards to young students who otherwise might not be able to purchase items for their parents, siblings, and friends. The Hermantown Police Department shops with the youngsters as part of building relationships in the community and providing support to these young people growing up in our community.

“It was a fun experience,” said Trenten, a 9-year-old who had picked up a board game and art supplies for his sister. “It was cool to have our police help us shop.”

HPD’s Chief Jim Crace echoed that sentiment.

“So nice to be a part of this event,” Crace said. “To watch these kids thoughtfully shop for their loved ones is special.”

Lightsabers for siblings, blankets and cozy slippers for mom, movies for dad, and surprises for best friends highlighted the hour-plus adventure around Walmart.

“I’ve always wanted to be able to buy something for my parents,” said 10-year-old Keshawn. “Christmas is about buying for others, not just yourself, and I’m happy to get to do it.”

One young man even donated the remainder of his gift card to a fellow shopper so that he could make one more family purchase.

It was all excitement at the finish, as the shoppers were ready to give their gifts to the many recipients.

“It means a lot that I get to shop for a gift for my mom,” said 10-year-old Deasia. “I get a chance to show her I appreciate her by giving her a gift because she gives me so much.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *